Here is my basic strategy, in no coherent order:
1) Buy shots. Probably kamikazes. (essentially just vodka and sour mix at most bars, upscale joints might throw in some triple sec) Kamikazes are girly drinks without being girly drinks. Buying a girl a purple hooter or something ultra girly shows a lack of respect. The kamikaze is easy to put down, tastes good to most everybody, and says "yo, I think you aight, you ain't nothin' to be laughed at." Lemon drops work if she is a bit more girly. If you think you have a real woman on your hand, try a rattle snake (layered vodka, baileys and kahlua)
2) Ask her about herself. Listen to her. Girls like to talk about themselves (well, everybody likes to talk about themselves, but this is aimed at a certain type of social interaction, so please excuse the seeming stereotypes, they're more just general strategies, just go with it).
3) dance. Yeah, you probably don't want to. yeah, you probably look stupid. So. Fucking. what. Girls like to dance, on average. If you don't some other dude will, who is probably a scumbag. I have a theory that the reason why scumbags get all the girls and 'nice guys' finish last in many ways stems from the fact that 'nice guys' are too self conscious to fucking dance. I hate it, believe me. I'd rather chill the most to some Zep. But there are worse things in life than having a girl rub against you while seed 2.0 plays.
4) treat her like a real person. again, the biggest reason why 'nice guys' have trouble with girls is that they treat them like they're some form of beautiful alien. She's a person, just the fuck like you, but she has tits. Yes, they're nice, but they're just fucking fat well proportioned. She also has a vagina, but don't worry about that just yet. Treat her like a real person, oddly enough she is.
5) touch her on the arm. The butt is too much, the breasts, well, do you really want to get together with a girl who is cool with you grabbing her tits within an hour of meeting you? The hair, I guess its okay. But the arm, gently, but not overly softly, is the best. it says "hey girl, I like you, but I'm not about to rape you or anything."
6) Look her in the eyes. Not like the whole time, that's just weird. But make regular intermittent eye contact at key points in interaction. If a girl is looking into your eyes, she'll often miss the ways in which you are otherwise ugly. Most people have attractive enough eyes.
7) Bragging is dumb. Nobody gives a fuck about whatever bullshit you've accomplished, most likely. If they did you probably wouldn't be reading this.
8) don't try too hard to make her laugh. Girls say they like a guy with a sense of humor. what they really mean is that they laugh at every dumbass thing a guy they like says, regardless of how not funny it is. Trying too hard to make her laugh gets you painted as a joker/friend. Be funny in a natural sort of way.
9) if it's the summer, learn how to make a beastly good margarita. Like this will serve you probably better than everything else above. Like a margarita better than about any bar could make. Yes, get real stuff. Though don't spend too much on really smooth tequila. Really smooth tequila isn't particularly great in margaritas. Sauza or Jose Cuervo are good. Buy really good triple sec. fresh lemon juice. some sour mix is okay (but don't over do it). Shake it in a shaker. On the rocks (blended frozen bullshit impresses nobody, no matter how much she says she wants it that way, that's just because she hasn't had your margarita). With kosher salt. Don't fuck this up. every girl I've ever dated well out of my league, a margarita I made played into it in some way.
10) tell her she's pretty, but don't go overboard with that shit. Its a fine line between being a dick and being a meat worshipper. She's a girl, hopefully she's pretty, but she's still just a girl. Treat her like that. She may well be interesting, but if you treat her like some sort of beautiful alien that you're the most fortunate person in the world to have made first contact with her, you'll never find any of that out. Well, maybe like a year down the road as you become her bestie shopping buddy.
Now, take all this information with the knowledge that I'm a single 30 year old dude. So I can't really say it's been terribly successful.